Rather quiet week as most team members have their head down focusing on projects.
Public Service Announcement: We do want to take a moment to remind the community to please double check all transactions before you send them. We’ve been seeing an increase in users who are unfortunately sending their Omni Assets (like Maidsafe and Tether) to deposit addresses on platforms that do no support that particular Omni Protocol asset. While we try our best to help these users recover their funds there is ultimately little we can do. The Omni Foundation/Omniwallet/Omniexplorer do not have any control over addresses that are created by other platforms/services.
Please ensure when sending an Omni Asset the destination address you are sending your assets to specifically supports what you want to send.
Dexx has started work on a plan to optimize transaction payloads with the goal being to reduce overall transactions costs. The first of a few different ideas we are looking into for this year.
Work on layout and base components continues.
As previously stated we are currently looking for additional c++ developers familiar with bitcoin technology who would like to participate in and contribute to the project. Any interested applicants can contact email@example.com
Small bug that could affect some armory offline transaction creations has been patched.
Initial api service is running. Streamlining, optimizing and legacy OE route integration work underway.
Looking for an easy way to track many of your Omni Assets? One of our members, Sean, has been working on a project for just this dubbed OmniPortfolio: https://www.omniportfolio.org/ . At the moment there are clients for windows/osx/linux but an android port is underway.
State of the Layer: All Hands – Jan 30 2017
Last week we held our first AMA of 2018, Some highlights from the AMA include; What gives value to OMNI, Who are the devs, and Omni projects/structure/expansion. The full AMA discussion can be seen on reddit here.
For those who were at the d10e cayman islands conference we hope you had a chance to check out the UIT speech given by Craig. We heard it got a fantastic response from the crowd and he’s been having a hard time keeping up with the request for discussion from investors and advisors on new ico’s. He’s also been working on discussion with exchanges for enhancements to Omni and omni carried assets, including potential new relationships with other blockchains for omni integrations.
As previously mentioned OmniExplorer.info is slated for a relaunch in the coming weeks. We are currently working on a redesigned site that pulls from the existing OmniExplorer styling (to maintain familiarity) while also trying to incorporate some updates. We have decided to use the React Stack (React, React Router, Redux, Redux Saga) with Unit Testing (Jest, Enzyme), and Lint (ESLint) for the base. Our new UI lead Germán is currently working on the new App Layouts.
As the first step in getting ready for the next release Dexx has been working to clean up and clear out some old pull requests. Usable branches/code from previous developers will be maintained and pulled to new branches for any continued development. As previously stated we are currently looking for additional c++ developers familiar with bitcoin technology who would like to participate in and contribute to the project. Any interested applicants can contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Omniwallet continues with normal operation.
Adam has been working on our new API service which will be taking the current api stacks from Omniwallet and Omniexplorer and combining them into one central usable service. At present we have spun up the existing Omniwallet api approx 85% and are working to incorporate the OE routes for a seamless transition.
State of the Layer: All Hands – Dec 23 2017
With the beginning of 2018 the Omni Foundation is kicking off the new year with a new attention to community. As our first course to this goal we are going to be holding an AMA on our reddit tomorrow, Jan 25, from 10am – 10pm UTC. We encourage you to join us with your questions about the Omni Protocol, the Foundation and the projects we are working on. We will have a few Team members from different time zones popping in/out throughout the day to respond to questions and discussions on Omni.
Our block explorer website, OmniExplorer.info, will be undergoing some updates and changes over the next few weeks. The current maintainer of the site is stepping away to focus on more personal matters going forward and will not be able to continue its development. Additional information about the re-release of the new explorer will follow in the coming weeks.
Our reference client is now on version 0.3.0. There are many new features (both client side and protocol side) that we are working on and want to get released to the community this year. As with most projects development and accurate testing are a huge factor when it comes to releasing anything new. To that end we are currently looking for additional c++ developers familiar with bitcoin technology who would like to participate in and contribute to the project. Any interested applicants can contact email@example.com
Omniwallet continues on as usual. Once the OmniExplorer project is complete we hope to begin working on some much needed updates and improvements to streamline and improve the ease the use for most new comers.
State of the Layer: All Hands – Dec 19 2017
- With 0.3 release complete need to start circling back up on Digital Objects (UIT/vAtomic )
- Handling support
- Helping with integrators as needed
- Planning for 2018 updates for Omni
- Increase social presence
- Brand awareness
- Looking for additional devs
- During the last days, I prepared the 0.3 release with Z, uploaded the binaries, updated the website, sent out the announcements etc. Then I started with some rather large refactor of Omni Core to make it easier to get an understanding which parts are where.
- Working on the new website release
- Update released Dec 20
State of the Layer: All Hands – Dec 12 2017
We are pleased to announce the release of Omni Core v0.3
v0.3.0 is a major release and consensus critical in terms of the Omni Layer protocol rules. This release supersedes and replaces all previous releases, an upgrade is mandatory as prior releases will not be compatible with new behaviour in this release.
A few key things about this upgrade:
- To avoid any possible database corruptions/needing to rebuild the blockchain db any running client will need to perform a clean stop using the rpc command “omnicore-cli stop”
- Upon launching the new update your client will need to reparse the current Omni Layer transactions. Depending on the speed/power of your machine this may take 30-90 minutes so please plan accordingly.
Please see the full release notes here for additional information as well as install/upgrade instructions.
Download links can be found either on github or bintray
- Handling support
- Helping integrators
- Omni Explorer
- Significant load spikes related to high volumes of Omni tx’s, throwing more resources at OE in short term
- Optimizing caching and improving ban code for API abuse
- Omni Core
- Development of Freeze system
- Working towards Omni Core 0.3
- Reviewed, tested and merged reintroduction of client shutdown and freeze transactions
- Finalized, built and uploaded Omni Core v0.3
- Still waiting for more review of website overhaul (https://github.com/OmniLayer/omnilayer.github.io/pull/19)
State of the Layer: All Hands – Dec 5 2017
- Tether and Omni Layer relationship clarification
- Omni Layer is an open-source project, unrelated to any corporation
- Tether is simply the largest issuer of assets on the Omni Layer
- Among many other issuers like MaidSafe, Synereo AMPs, and Tau Chain Agoras.
- Digital Objects
- Want to release the new Omniwallet with digital object / vAtom code asap
- Zathras, can you help with a tutorial with Andrew?
- Next steps:
- Testnet example of omniwallet, hosted by vAtomic
- Make sure this works as expected
- Merge that testnet code for OW into mainnet OW (even though Core doesn’t yet support UIT)
- Publish tutorials for creating digital objects for non-UIT tokens
- Complete the UIT buiild for mainnet test scosystem
- Testing, activation, etc.
- Deploy UIT version of Core
- Update tutorials for unique tokens
- Recovery status
- New build with Freeze function
- Handling support
- Omni Core
- Continuing to work on building new freezing feature
- Omni Explorer
- Recovered outage caused by overusage of a specific API call
- Working to optimize API queries that use large amounts of resources
State of the Layer: All Hands – Nov 28 2017